ApprenticeshipsAn apprentice boosts the UK economy by £28 for every £1 of investment. Find out what support is available and join the apprenticeship movement
Apprenticeships, which combine workplace training with study, can have a big impact to your organisation. Examples may include improving your bottom line, diversifying skills within your company, supporting workforce planning or positively shaping your organisation's culture. Many businesses choose to recruit an apprentice, not just because the UK economy is boosted by £28 for every £1 invested into an apprentice, because:
- You can mould an apprentice to meet your workplace needs.
- You can use an apprenticeship to grow your business or resolve difficulties with recruitment.
- You can use an apprenticeship to recruit new talent or retrain/up-skill existing staff, which also encourages enthusiasm, creativity and loyalty.
Greater Manchester Apprenticeship Strategy
The Greater Manchester Strategy for Apprenticeships is introduced within the enclosed presentation (dated 11/4/19). Key themes of this strategy include:
- #SeeDifferent: Apprenticeship are seen differently because of the contribution they make and the opportunities they bring.
- Do Different: Organisations will be working together to ensure all Apprenticeship opportunities are of the highest quality.
- Be Greater: We will be an exemplar of Apprenticeship employment with a range of opportunities to develop skills and improve business productivity.
Support to help you recruit an apprentice
CITB Apprenticeship grants
CITB pay grants for attendance and achievements on intermediate, advanced and higher approved apprenticeships. If you are are levy-registered with CITB and would like further information visit: CITB - Apprenticeship Grants
Apprenticeship funding changed from April 2017, based on the size of an organisation's payroll bill. You can review your organisation's funding position via the Apprenticeship Funding Flow Chart on The Apprenticeship Hub - Employers.
Levy Matchmaking Service
The Levy Matchmaking Service allows a levy paying organisation to transfer up to 25% of their funds to a non-levy paying organisation, to pay for apprenticeship training. This ensures that maximum levy investment is retained in Greater Manchester.
What are other employers saying?
The following case studies, presented by business leaders, describe how Apprenticeships are having a big impact within their company.
- The Apprenticeship Hub - Case studies: UK Fast (Lawrence Jones)
- The Apprenticeship Hub - Case studies: The Co-Operative (Andrew Seddon)
- The Apprenticeship Hub - Case studies: Man Diesel & Turbo UK (Wayne Jones)
- The Apprenticeship Hub - Case studies: Manchester Airport Group (Daniel Gallo)
- The Apprenticeship Hub - Case studies: Lancashire FA (Derek Egan)
COVID-19 Small Business Grant Scheme
Check for eligibility and confirm your bank details on the Bury Council - Coronavirus (COVID-19) - business grants.
- £10,000 grant for occupied business premises in receipt of small business rates relief.
- £25,000 grant to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with rateable values between £15,000 and £51,000.
Support and Development Opportunities for Apprentices
The Greater Manchester Apprenticeship Ambassador Programme
Who better to raise awareness of Apprenticeships than apprentices themselves? The Apprenticeship Ambassador Programme is an information service for schools and employers in Greater Manchester utilising real apprentices' first-hand knowledge to promote Apprenticeships as a viable and successful route into a career.
For further information, including future training days, contact details and the benefits, visit the Greater Manchester Learning Provider Network website.
Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) Apprentice Travel Offer
TfGM provides a transport offer for Greater Manchester Apprentices, which includes:
- Apprentice Bike to Work Scheme: Providing free refurbished bikes and accessories to help apprentices access their place of work and training.
- Apprentice Free and discounted travel: Offering ONE free 28 day bus and Metrolink pass and subsidised passes for a further 3 months, helping apprentices get to their place of work and training.
- Free Personal Travel Plan: Providing a free electronic Personalised Travel Plan, to help apprentices plan their journey.
For further information about any of these programmes, visit: TfGM Travel Choices for Apprentices